We appreciate your interest. Volunteers are very important to our Public History Program. We present history programs and walking tours for the public as well as history field trips for fourth grade students. In addition, we are devleoping the Olympia Brewing Company archives.
Volunteers in the public history program usually work about four hours each week. We provide training and training materials for all volunteer positions.
SCHMIDT HOUSE HISTORY TALKS – October through June
- Set up for History Talks. Requires some lifting.
- Take down following History Talks. Requires some lifting.
- Hosting the greeting table on the day of a history talk.
SCHMIDT HOUSE HISTORY TOURS – August through September
- Host the greeting table and distribute the tickets.
- Lead the Schmidt House History Tours. Each tour lasts for about one hour.
Requires some lifting for set up and take down for tour exhibits. Requries walking up and down two flights of stairs.
RIVERWALK TOURS – July through September
- Lead a history walking tour in Tumwater Falls Park. Tours usually last about one hour.
Requires walking one-quarter of a mile on gravel paths with uneven terrain while carrying a five-pound amplications system and microphone.
OLYMPIA BREWING COMPANY ARCHIVES – Year round
- Work in the archives includes cataloging, scanning, indexing, and entering information into the archive database.
We train volunteers to work in each of these areas, including working with the archive database. However, we do not provide basic computer training.
Through volunteerism members of the Olympia Tumwater Foundation have the opportunity to assist in fostering awareness of our rich local history as well as develop new friendships in the process.